In the world of vodka distillation, the filtration method is a key factor in defining the quality of the end product. Carbon, known for its purifying abilities, has been a longstanding player in this process. However, traditional carbon granules present drawbacks, including uneven absorption and inconsistent outcomes.
Here’s why distillers should upgrade to carbon cartridges rather than carbon granules for the clarification of vodka.
- Efficiency: Carbon cartridges typically have a higher surface area compared to loose carbon granules. This increased surface area enhances the adsorption capacity of impurities like colour compounds, off-flavours, and odours from the vodka more effectively.
- Consistency: Cartridges offer better consistency in the filtration process. The granules might not have uniform sizes, leading to uneven filtration, while cartridges provide a standardised filtration medium, ensuring a more consistent quality in the final product.
- Ease of Handling: Cartridges are easier to handle and maintain during the filtration process compared to loose granules. They can be replaced easily and are less prone to creating a mess during the filtration process.
- Reduced Waste: Granules can potentially escape during filtration and end up in the final product, requiring further filtration stages to remove them. Cartridges prevent this issue by containing the carbon within a controlled environment, reducing the chances of contamination.
- Time and Cost Efficiency: Cartridges can offer a more time-efficient and cost-effective filtration process in the long run due to their enhanced adsorption capacity and reduced need for frequent replacements compared to loose granules.
Ultimately, the choice between cartridges and granules might also depend on the scale of production, equipment available, and specific filtration requirements of the distillery.
To talk further about carbon filters for this application, you can send an email to [email protected] or give us a call on 0203 750 8060 and we'd be happy to talk through your requirements. Or you can click HERE for more details on our carbon cartridge filter range.
PoreFilterUK – Making your filtration systems work harder